What's in the name
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  07:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard Lene's new single several times on Belgian radiostation for the last two days and can conclude one thing: no Belgian presenter really knows how to pronounce here name. Actually, I'm not so sure either. One website claims you have to pronounce it as 'Lenai'? Any Norwegains around who could help me out, please? Thanks.
(Meriadoc, who is actually rather ashamed about this)

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  08:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure in the rules of expressing pronounciations, but it's quite straightforward "Lene", as in you have to pronounce the latter "-e" (so "Len-ai" isn't far from the truth, no, but the "-ai" should be more like an "-e").

Yes, I'm not a politician, I'm not a royalty, I have not come back to rule the country. I'm just going to make some music. - Lene Marlin, August 2003.
Go to Top of Page

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  09:08:42  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lene Marlin..

"Le", as in the first pronounciation of "Le"ngth (Length), and
"ne", as in the first pronounciation of "Ne"gotiate...

Leh...neh..Lene.. :P

Marlin as in the fish

hope that helps :)

-memo

http://www.lene-marlin.no

memo@lene-marlin.no

currently looking for news-posters!
Go to Top of Page

artic
Fan

Norway
42 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  13:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
memo wrote:

The "Le" is right, but I do not agree on the second. The "e" in nEgotiate is pronounced with an I-sound such as in.... hmmmm... "India" and "Sit" (according to my dictionary). I would say that "ne" should be pronounced as the first pronounciation of "NEver", "Ten" etc. Or am I wrong
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  15:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an old discussion, definitely solved by Lene herself yet some years ago

From the chat with fans organized by The Raft (you can find it in this site):
Kevin: How must we pronunce your first name ?
Lene: Leynah...or something.

Also the announcer of the CDUK show says clearly: Leynah Ma(r)lin

“I’m here again because I’ve got my passion back. I’ve never thought about writing a song that will sell because I don't approach music like that. If I thought in that manufactured way, I know I wouldn’t be able to do it” Lene Marlin 2003
Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  18:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the information. Should I ever meet her in person (most likely in my dreams :D ) I know how to pronounce her name ;-)
Go to Top of Page

remind_me
Fan

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  20:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No,no,no!!!!

When Lene said this, she had English fans in mind, who don't have the right "e"-sound in their language. "Lene" is in fact more or less unpronouncable in English, so I can't see a single reason why the rest of the world should adopt that pronouncation.

quote:
Lene Marlin..

Leh...neh..Lene.. :P

Marlin as in the fish

hope that helps :)

This is how it is pronounced in Norway, and should be quite easy to pronounce also for Germans, Italians (like "bene"- just replace b with l) and other non-English speakers.
Go to Top of Page

neutral
Fan

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  21:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, just in case it's still not clear: http://digitalhq.20megsfree.com/Lene.html
This is how I pronounce "Lene" in MP3 format;)
The L and the N are pronounced as in english, the two "E"s are pronounced as mentioned above (Length, Negotiate, End, echo, entertain) You still don't know how to pronounce it? Sorry, I'm running out of ways to explain it;)
Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  09:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutral

Ok, just in case it's still not clear: http://digitalhq.20megsfree.com/Lene.html
This is how I pronounce "Lene" in MP3 format;)
The L and the N are pronounced as in english, the two "E"s are pronounced as mentioned above (Length, Negotiate, End, echo, entertain) You still don't know how to pronounce it? Sorry, I'm running out of ways to explain it;)

It's clear now. Thanks.
The new interview on http://www.lene-marlin.no/ is interresting for this too. You can hear her name pronounced at the beginning.

Edited by - Meriadoc on 04 Sep 2003 12:19:19
Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  12:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marko

Does the word 'lene' excist in Italian? Freetranslation.com constantly translates 'lene' as 'energies' when I'm translating from Italian to Englisch.

Just the way we are
I guess you've seen it now
A mirror of ourselves sure makes us weird
Falling down
From a mountain of fright
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  15:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We spoke about this one time. The exact word doesn't exist.
But there are names like Elena (Hélene), Marilena (Marylene or Marlene) and so on. I think you could also find some girls who's name is Lena.
Energy is Energia, so I don't know why it translates lene that way, perhaps because l'energia is the energy. Joking, someone anagrammatized Lene in Enel, which is the italian National Istitution for Electric Energy

“I'll be right there, if you ask me to
If you're feeling sad, I'll stay with you
And if you're scared, I'll hold your hand
Like I know you'd do for me too"
Lene Marlin-AD

Edited by - Marko on 04 Sep 2003 15:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Darksky
Fan

France
156 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  16:38:57  Show Profile  Click to see Darksky's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ciao Marko
well..yeah Lena does exists in Italy cuz I've an Italian cousin named Lena, and a aunt named Lina! hehe! confusing!

**gjorde det vondt da du falt ned fra himmelen?**
Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  17:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marko

We spoke about this one time. The exact word doesn't exist.
But there are names like Elena (H�lene), Marilena (Marylene or Marlene) and so on. I think you could also find some girls who's name is Lena.
Energy is Energia, so I don't know why it translates lene that way, perhaps because l'energia is the energy. Joking, someone anagrammatized Lene in Enel, which is the italian National Istitution for Electric Energy

In other words: Freetranslation.com sucks. Thanks Marco.
BTW, I just bought little dictionary: Norwegian-Dutch, Dutch-Norwegian. Maybe I learn the language someday ;-)

Just the way we are
I guess you've seen it now
A mirror of ourselves sure makes us weird
Falling down
From a mountain of fright
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000