Lene.it International Forum
Lene.it International Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forums
 Lene Marlin
 new wallpaper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Freek Posted - 03 Oct 2003 : 19:55:01
Hey,

I made a wallpaper and just want to know if you like it. Click on the picture to get it in high resolution (1280x960)
Suggestions are welcome.

-Freek.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Geno Posted - 13 Oct 2003 : 20:10:41
quote:
Originally posted by Tarnim

Oh yes, the hip hop retards, as you call them. This is interesting. Many of todays RnB/hiphop atists are ECXTREMLY sexistic and still massivly succsesfull with teenage girls. How this works out is a complete mystery to me. Artists like Sean Paul, 50 cent, outlandish and Shaggy promotes a very low wiew of women and they get away with it. That makes me pissed! How can this be in the year 2003? Shouldn't we have comed longer by now? And you teenagegirls, why do you fall for this? No wonder tmany young girls have bad selfasteme when they grow up lissening to crap like that being braindwashed that they're worth nothing more than a toy for stonage-minded creeps like these!

-----
you're right in all the things you do
in all the choises you make
don't be afraid
it all works out in the end
-Lene Marlin, "It's All Good"

Agree.

Unfortunately, it's not just teenage girls who fall for these morons. Music critics too, people who actually make a living out of writing about music, somehow end up praising this crap, I dont know what to think. I'm sure if you took a survey of Norwegian newspapers/magazines and compared the reviews of, say, 50 Cent's album and "Another day", 50 Cent would come out favourably. I'm not kidding! In almost all the reviews I've seen, he's got 5 out of 6, whereas Lene mostly has got 3 or 4.

And earlier this year a large number of well known music writers from many different magazines compiled a list of the 30 best Norwegian albums of all time. PMG wasn't even on the list...
Tarnim Posted - 13 Oct 2003 : 14:45:16
Oh yes, the hip hop retards, as you call them. This is interesting. Many of todays RnB/hiphop atists are ECXTREMLY sexistic and still massivly succsesfull with teenage girls. How this works out is a complete mystery to me. Artists like Sean Paul, 50 cent, outlandish and Shaggy promotes a very low wiew of women and they get away with it. That makes me pissed! How can this be in the year 2003? Shouldn't we have comed longer by now? And you teenagegirls, why do you fall for this? No wonder tmany young girls have bad selfasteme when they grow up lissening to crap like that being braindwashed that they're worth nothing more than a toy for stonage-minded creeps like these!

-----
you're right in all the things you do
in all the choises you make
don't be afraid
it all works out in the end
-Lene Marlin, "It's All Good"
Geno Posted - 13 Oct 2003 : 14:32:19
quote:
Originally posted by jebskulker

Now that I think about it, I think that people should be able to make up their own minds over what sort of music they like. I know teenagers who like alternative music, yet I know some people in their mid to late 20's who like pop music, so it's all about what drags you in really.

When I got into Lene, I always thought of her as an alternative artist, like Jewel (except for her latest album) or Sarah McLachlan or Ani Difranco. Then I was surprised to find out that her releases had lots and lots of sales, so I didn't know what to think.

To me she is still an alternative artist, but just happens to have had some mainstream success, especially recently with You Weren't There. I won't like her any less if her releases go to number 1 in a few countries over the world. I think it's great! :)

If Lene ever gets to number 1 in Australia, I'll be so excited! Virgin/EMI isn't promoting her here at all though so I don't see that happening.

Well said, I completely agree with you. [:) Unfortunately, a lot of people here in Norway don't take Lene seriously, and just think of her as a cute girl with a guitar.
It's a bit strange though, that people think Lene isn't alternative just because she makes the charts. After all, bands like Metallica sell millions of records, and they always get away with it. Even though I'm sure teenagers make up a large share of their fans. It just puzzles me. Or bands like Linkin Park, with an audience almost exclusively teen age. Why should they be considered as "alternative" and Lene not?

And how on earth do all these hip hop retards (50 Cent being the latest) get away with it? They write the most infantile, sexist lyrics immaginable, don't write their own songs, dress up like total idiots, behave like morons, they have their own commercial clothes brands - and still somehow are taken seriously by music critics? I just dont get it.

Of course, a lot of teenagers can tell good music from bad. Just like plenty of 20- or 30-somethings have shockingly bad taste. Sadly, people with good tste in music will always be in a minority, regardless of age.
jebskulker Posted - 11 Oct 2003 : 16:00:43
Now that I think about it, I think that people should be able to make up their own minds over what sort of music they like. I know teenagers who like alternative music, yet I know some people in their mid to late 20's who like pop music, so it's all about what drags you in really.

When I got into Lene, I always thought of her as an alternative artist, like Jewel (except for her latest album) or Sarah McLachlan or Ani Difranco. Then I was surprised to find out that her releases had lots and lots of sales, so I didn't know what to think.

To me she is still an alternative artist, but just happens to have had some mainstream success, especially recently with You Weren't There. I won't like her any less if her releases go to number 1 in a few countries over the world. I think it's great! :)

If Lene ever gets to number 1 in Australia, I'll be so excited! Virgin/EMI isn't promoting her here at all though so I don't see that happening.
Geno Posted - 08 Oct 2003 : 19:12:16
quote:
Originally posted by jebskulker

I think the problem with teenagers and younger kids is that they don't know anything about music, then they have pop music shoved in their face all the time on TV and radio and in magazines and newspapers, and they don't know how to react because they don't know of any other music, so they just follow what they see and hear.

I started off like that, then I discovered alternative music when I was in my mid to late teens and I never turned back! :) but I still like a little bit of pop music.

Nah, I think it's too easy to just blame the kids. I think part of the problem is that Virgin doesn't know whether to market Lene as a mainstream or an alternative artist. And I think a lot of people who listen to alternative music, don't buy Lene's stuff or don't pay attention to her because her image isn't "alternative" enough.
These things shouldn't matter, but unfortunately they do.

I really wish people would pay more attention to music and less to image.
Tarnim Posted - 08 Oct 2003 : 18:37:17
Well it's nice to hear that there are some hope for the youth today.
But, seriosly I did say "in general", right? Of course there are exeptions. I mean , I was one myself!

And Jebskulker, you're probarbly right too. But it's most likley a combination. But what explination those older people have for listining to pure-comercial meaningless sexistic pop music? I mean, grow up!

-----
I see all the faces, tears and embraces. Wish you could be here to see it too.
adamqaisar Posted - 08 Oct 2003 : 17:53:51
*cough* I'm 15, and you don't see me going to buy some worthless Idol CD! In the past few years my taste in music has developed, mainly thanks to Lene.

jebskulker Posted - 08 Oct 2003 : 16:40:46
I think the problem with teenagers and younger kids is that they don't know anything about music, then they have pop music shoved in their face all the time on TV and radio and in magazines and newspapers, and they don't know how to react because they don't know of any other music, so they just follow what they see and hear.

I started off like that, then I discovered alternative music when I was in my mid to late teens and I never turned back! :) but I still like a little bit of pop music.
Tarnim Posted - 08 Oct 2003 : 09:33:06
quote:
Originally posted by Tef Johs

I agree totally, Geno. What is going on in Norway? I feel ashamed...David's album isn't even *close* to Another Day. It's a disgrace, but there's not much we can do about the musical taste of a billion teenage girls.

I'm thinking about you, Wondering about you
Do I really know you, Have I ever known you - Lene Marlin, "Fight Against The Hours"

Sadly enough the huge amount of teenage girls (and boys) doesen't even have a music taste. They, in general, don't buy albums for the music, but for the image. It's probarbly the hormons. Why can't they buy movies of with some cute filmstar instead and leave the platform of true art, music that is, alone?

-----
I see all the faces, tears and embraces. Wish you could be here to see it too.
Dazzy Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 22:02:37
Yeah - I was gonna ask who David was too but felt a bit silly as everyone seemed to be talking about him as though we all know him.

By the way - great to see Alex won Pop Idols at the weekend.

My loss, here we go again...
Freek Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 21:42:18
Who's David?
I think nobody outside Norway knows this guy as nobody knows our german "Quick-O-Superstars" outside Germany.
Lene also has an international audience.
I wouldn't be angry to be kicked off by a local one-hit-wonder as long as I had so many fans especially over in Italy. (and this after such a long break!)
artic Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 19:35:33
Well, I guess those teenage-girls will get tired of the Idol-guys, and they will lose many fans (or they'll be forgotten) when the new idol-season starts... So if we think in long terms, I think Lene will be the winner of this "battle".
Tef Johs Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 12:43:44
I agree totally, Geno. What is going on in Norway? I feel ashamed...David's album isn't even *close* to Another Day. It's a disgrace, but there's not much we can do about the musical taste of a billion teenage girls.

I'm thinking about you, Wondering about you
Do I really know you, Have I ever known you - Lene Marlin, "Fight Against The Hours"
Geno Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 12:27:24
quote:
Wow, look at Hit40.no this week:
1 1 1 11 You Weren't There Lene Marlin Another Day
Heh, could Lene *get* any more 1's in front of her YWT single? :)
Amazing, in her 9th consecutive week in No. 1 on the Norwegian air play chart, her *11*th week overall.

Yeah, but she's been kicked off the top spot in the album chart, after just one week. By DAVID!!??! What is the world coming to?!?
Freek Posted - 07 Oct 2003 : 00:36:50
11th week? 8-o
Man, I know this song since last week and I never heard it on the radio.
There's virtually no promotion over here. That's annoying. :(

Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000