Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

staalorm
Fan

Norway
32 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  22:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Culled from:
http://www.algonet.se/~petermag/leneguest/gbook.html (scroll down)..
----- Quote:
Below you can download the song that inspired Lene Marlin to write "Unforgivable sinner". This song is called "One time offender", and was written, recorded & released by 'The Chant Movement' in 1997. This is true; A relative to one of the band members in 'The Chant Movement' gave Lene the CD back in '97 (before she got famous, of course), and she were so inspired by the song that she wrote her "version" of it. You'll find it at this URL:
http://www11.nrk.no/upunkt/urort/framework.asp?task=band&band_id=1150
(click on the "lytt" link)..
-----
Better yet, goto: http://www.thechantmovement.com/
Interesting detail in the lyrics of "one time offender" is: "he knows where he sent her And as from today he’s a one time offender".. Is there more to be found from this band, that echoes' with Lene's songs?

Edited by - staalorm on 30 Oct 2003 22:18:32

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  23:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by staalorm

Interesting detail in the lyrics of "one time offender" is: "he knows where he sent her And as from today he’s a one time offender".. Is there more to be found from this band, that echoes' with Lene's songs?

Yes, yes, yes; Lene was probably inspired by "One Time Offender", and yes, the chorus lyrics are similar. This is very well known in the Lene fan community, and has been discussed several times (also at mBuzz.com forums).

I have an mp3 of the song in question, and besides those lyrics similarities, there is *nothing* in the song that even resembles "Unforgivable Sinner" whatsoever. In fact, "One Time Offender" is a rather slow and bland song in comparison, and I guess it was just the theme (sad as it is) of the lyrics that caught Lene's attention back then.

And, as far as I know, no other songs of that band are even remotely similar to any of Lene's efforts.

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

staalorm
Fan

Norway
32 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  19:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there TefJohs.

>> "I have an mp3 of the song in question, and besides those lyrics similarities, there is *nothing* in the song that even resembles "Unforgivable Sinner" whatsoever."

Must admit I wasn't aware of earlier comments regarding this band, since I'm new here. While I am strictly neutral regarding this topic I would like to disagree sligthly to your view. I inserted both songs into CoolEditPro2 and looked at how the songs matched in their build, bridges, use of instrumentation and overall feeling. It is clear to me anyway that if you strip of the extra repetitions and match the songs in beats, there is a number of similarities in the build of the song. Also the theme of the lyrics resemble, somebody being dead (angel) and (not) being forgiven. All this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it gives some credit to the claim that "US" is a version in large parts based on the "OTO" song. Thus taken into consideration that "US" is _the_ main breakthrough-song for Lene, some people would perhaps consider it a good tone to aknowledge the source in any symbolic way. There might be some evil tounges mumbling "so that's why she won't tell her inspirations" but for myself I would disagree as it's quite naturally to form something from something, not just out of thin air.

>> "In fact, "One Time Offender" is a rather slow and bland song in comparison, and I guess it was just the theme (sad as it is) of the lyrics that caught Lene's attention back then."

I kindly disagee with you also here. I find the band to be quite talented. That their recordings and "live-sound" makes the music a little boxy, should not shade your ears for the fact that recorded and produced profesionally they might have a number of very good songs. I think if you got to hear "US" as originally recorded by Lene it also would suffer sligthly. I especially admire the bands vocalist voice, someting between Morten Harket from AHA but with a smoother pitch. I would recommend that you listen to besides "One time offender"; "passionate heat" and "the devils well".. very good and fresh.

>> And, as far as I know, no other songs of that band are even remotely similar to any of Lene's efforts.

Too bad, would really like to hear Lene's version of "passionate heat".. Perhaps other artists should be examined? We already know of U2's bassline..

Cheers,
Staalorm
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  19:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't hear to that song, but as we said several times in this or similar cases (and there are hundreds) music is made by 7 notes and there are millions of songs. I could find you almost in every new song similarities with old ones, in textes (letters of the alphabet are only 26!) passages of the song or entire pieces (an expert could do that also in the use of an instrument between the others). You can put me to test, if you want.

So please, stop with this arguments once and forever, I don't think Lene would be pleased to read (and she can't reply to them), but then, I don't understand what people want to demonstrate with such arguments. Are you maybe insinuating that Lene copies? Is someone envious of her success they didn't have?
We know what kind of person Lene is. Stop. There's nothing more to say. There's a similar song? Ok. Doesn't matter to us. And it's enough to say it one time.
I don't mean you Staarlom, I have nothing against you since you're new here, I'm only doing a general (embittered, as you can notice) speech.

All of you know that everyone is influenced by other people in everything (not only music of course): no-one could live out of the world, otherwise you should do the hermit.
So, from childhood to a certain age, you assimilate so many informations and things, one of that could jump out one day from a recess of your mind where it layed for ages, while you think you had a new idea. Do you understand me? Lene even said in a recent interview she didn't almost listen to the radio in the last year (evidently to not be influenced and concentrate better on her work)... more than this no-one could ask her.

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  21:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by staalorm

Thus taken into consideration that "US" is _the_ main breakthrough-song for Lene, some people would perhaps consider it a good tone to aknowledge the source in any symbolic way.

That the song US was the breakthrough song is rather irrelevant, because it's so arbitrary which song Lene chose to record of the, most probably, tens or even hundred songs Lene must have written even at that early point.

And, besides, internationally, it is "Sitting Down Here" which is the main breakthrough hit-song, not "Unforgivable Sinner". US was only the breakthrough song in *Norway*, but in England (not least), Italy and in the East, it was SDH. In France, however, it was neither of the two, but rather "Where I'm Headed" (which reached No.1 both in France and Italy).

And, I agree with you Marko about there being millions of songs, one could do this "test" and find similiarites between hundreds of songs that nobody would even think of as "similar" at the outset. Scientifically, it's totally pointless, it's like proving something that is inevitable, and thus it has no significance whatsoever.

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

staalorm
Fan

Norway
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  06:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi there Marko & TefJohs.

Thank you for your balanced replies and taking time to add your viewpoints to my topic. I'm the last person that should be critical to Lene's enigmatic and graciously talented creations. I'm a big fan being from Tromsø proper myself, and if I by accident made her feel even 1% stressed by this topic, there is only one thing I can do according to Tromsø traditions; kindly buy her a beer anytime I see her in town, give her the thumb's up (or a hug if I dare) and say: "Stå på go'pia, du gjør en steike go jobb!" and then leave her in peace.

Also my sincere compliments to the people behind this and other great websites, you all have real passions and love in your hearts.

Much obliged,
Staalorm
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  19:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
there is only one thing I can do according to Tromsø traditions; kindly buy her a beer anytime I see her in town

Now I do understand why she drinks "so much" beer: she has a lot of admirers and they all want to get into her good books

Hey, you're already the third or fourth Norwegian of Tromsø here (wonder were artic ended). I know she has not been in town for several months now, but I repeat you my usual question: did you ever see her or do you know a friend of her or something else?

Go to Top of Page

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  10:16:09  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Marko, Tef Johs:

I don't see the point of being almost "naive" regarding this topic..

It's very clear that she got her inspiration from their song, but that doesn't make it a bad thing... i write aLOT of poems, and i always get my inspiration from somewhere, whether it's from another poem, or just a feeling..

I believe staalorm is being to critizied, almost like a "sinner", just because he's wondering about something...

As you can read in his post, he doesn't say ANYTHING negative about Lene, or her songs...

Nobody's perfect, not even Lene, and yes, she probably got some ideas for "Unforgivable Sinner", from "One Time Offender"...

That just makes her more human to me :)

-m

http://www.lene-marlin.no

memo@lene-marlin.no

currently looking for news-posters!
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  21:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree memo, but it isn't the first time this argument is brought up and all the times now that Lene has come back: seemed to me almost an attempt to throw discredit on her with old things. But as I said, I didn't mean staarlom in what I said above. He only exposed something he found out and he's clearly a quiet fan of Lene.

Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  07:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marko

I agree memo, but it isn't the first time this argument is brought up and all the times now that Lene has come back: seemed to me almost an attempt to throw discredit on her with old things. But as I said, I didn't mean staarlom in what I said above. He only exposed something he found out and he's clearly a quiet fan of Lene.

If the Rolling Stones have to hear with every new album how they started their career singing covers and songs written for them by John Lennon and Paul McCartey, I'm sure they would have stopped years ago. There's so much music this days, it take a real genius to write something truly original.

--
Just the way we are
I guess you've seen it now
A mirror of ourselves sure makes us weird
Falling down
From a mountain of fright
Go to Top of Page

f1list
Fan

Israel
13 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  10:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a line that you don't pass, into plagiarism (sp?) but this certainly does not cross that line.
All the greats have stolen little bits from all the other greats, consciously or otherwise. Coldplay steal tons, so did Oasis (ok maybe them a little too much).
Someday the world is going to run out of new music because every possible combination of words and chords has been used. But we're not there yet. I hope I die before that :-)
Go to Top of Page

Geno
Fan

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If the Rolling Stones have to hear with every new album how they started their career singing covers and songs written for them by John Lennon and Paul McCartey, I'm sure they would have stopped years ago.

...and the rest of us would have been much better off.
Go to Top of Page

Geno
Fan

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  16:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Queen scored one of their biggest hits "Another bites the dust" by shamelessly nicking the bass riff from Chic's superb song "Good times".

And then of course there is hip hop, an entire "music" genre based on nicking.
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  18:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now it's my turn. I say only this: noticed nothing in the riff of RHCP's new song "Fortune"?

Go to Top of Page

adam
Fan

Ireland
13 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2003 :  20:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is inevitable that there will be parallels between the work of one artist and the work of others that she admires. What counts is creating something that is your own and that resonates with people in general. On Unforgivable Sinner, Lene unquestionably did that. The question of theft does not come into it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000