New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enel_int
Fan

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  23:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 i heard a cd by Sissel ( a friend of mine borrowed me it) and there is a song called KOPPANGEN: what does it mean?

2 in the Italian forum we had a discussion about the origine and the meaning of the name Lene MArlin (I don't know if here's the same, i could not find a topic about it).
Marlin is 2' name or 1' surname?
maybe it has swedish origines, so i say: Maybe is she a KVEN? or i'm only writing somethimg stupid?

TUSEN TAKK FOR BESVARENE DINEGOD JUL OG GOD NYTTAAR

Lene du får meg til å glemme tiden..................

Edited by - enel_int on 31 Dec 2003 15:42:42

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2003 :  03:20:50  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
koppangen isn't a norwegian word... it sounds like a place to me...

Lene is her first name... Marlin is her middle name, and Pedersen is her last/birth name...

Lene Marlin Pedersen :)

i don't know what KVEN means :P

http://www.lene-marlin.no

memo@lene-marlin.no

currently looking for news-posters!
Go to Top of Page

staalorm
Fan

Norway
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  03:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi enel_int.

>> KOPPANGEN: what does it mean?

Koppangen most likely refers to a placename close by the city of Tromsø (Lene's hometown). It's an ancient placename probably original describing a dominant landscape feature. These places tend to be small townships with striking scenery, a place to travel away from but also missing sorely in your heart when far away.

>> Marlin is 2' name or 1' surname?

Marlin is second name. It's not that usual actually, so there might be a family-history behind the use of the word.

>> Maybe is she a KVEN?

I culled this explanation from a resource on Kven;
"About 200 - 300 years ago a large number of Finns immigrated into what is now northern Norway; thery are the Kven people. Today there are 5000 or 8000. The language of the Kvens, which is old Finnish, was forbidden in 1936 and not until the year 1997 was permission again granted to teach the Kven language in the schools. There were over 700 pupils who entered to the classes of the Kven language, although the authorities believed that the language was already completely dead."

A minority of north-norwegians would be able to trace a branch of their ancestors to include people of Sami (lapps) or Kven culture. Shorter heights, broader faces, slight asiatic facial features might be a clue but by no means proof of this.

Happy Christmas & new year,
Staalorm
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  16:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Marlin is 2' name or 1' surname?
Marlin is second name. It's not that usual actually, so there might be a family-history behind the use of the word.

But what do you mean with "second name"? In Italy we mean a name like Lene, Maria, Ole, Sven, only given "additionally" ('cos parents did like both names or because one is more original and the other is the name of a grand-parent or others).
A family name like Marlin is a kind of surname, am I wrong?

Then, in the chat a guy, speaking about the name "Marlin" uses the word "etternavn". Lene does not comment this point.

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene
Go to Top of Page

enel_int
Fan

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  14:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot. I knew it about etternavn and kven history (yes I had to explain it, sorry), I only want to know if I should have any doubts about the question or not
happy new yaer to all

Lene du får meg til å glemme tiden..................
Go to Top of Page

staalorm
Fan

Norway
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  08:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marko.

>> But what do you mean with "second name"? A family name like Marlin is a kind of surname, am I wrong?

I do agree with you that there is a possible connection between "Marlin" and for instance a grandparent's surname. But most times I think it would have status as a middle name (second firstname) just like my mother's middle name is "Wang". Again it's possible that it some generations earlier has been a surname or another option could be it was a placename (for location purposes). By doing a norwegian text-based search I find some older mentions with Marlin as (presumed) middle name and Kennedy! as surename linked to Norway. Probably no relations..

Ciao,
Staalorm

Go to Top of Page

terje
Fan

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  18:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought that Marlin was a surname. However, I found this site dedicated to Norwegian names, and apparently Marlin is a variant of Marilyn, ie a Christian name.

http://www.dinbaby.com/show.asp?xSideId=1059

What puzzles me though, is that when asked about "Marlin" in the VG net-chat a couple of months ago, one of the posters speak of Marlin as though it is her surname ("Lene, you have a cool surname"), and Lene doesn´t correct him in any way.

I know the Italians also have a discussion going regarding the meaning of "Lene". According to this site, Lene derives from Helena, which means bright, radiant, luminous (norsk: skinnende, strålende)

http://www.dinbaby.com/show.asp?xSideId=1058

Go to Top of Page

terje
Fan

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  18:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it doesn't say that Marlin is derived from Marilyn. Rather, it is composed of mar- and -lin.
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  12:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we're discussing a lot about Lene's name. Marlin seems to be uncertain also to you Norwegian.
But Lene is simpler. Strangely enough, there are very rare Italian words with "lene" in it, but there is just the word Lene, that means weak, light or gentle, but also sweet, mild, soft, pleasant. That's literary. Then there's a gramatical meaning: "lene" is called the consonant which you pronounce less strong compared to the stronger one (for ex. "b" compared to "p").
There's also a very good denomination for Lene: if you say in Italian "Spirit of lene" you mean a sweet spirit. I myself didn't know this before; it comes from Greek.
"Lenemente", adverb, means again: sweetly, softly, gently.
Then there's a verb, "lenire" (and I've found also the correspondant poetic "sollenare"), which means "to relieve" (pain), while the German (sich) "lehnen", reflexive, means "to lean", but could also mean, figurative, "to rely on sb."

There are other meanings in other languages, but "lene" seems to be a root for other words, which means originally (perhaps in Greek) "sweet, gentle".
So Lene=sweet! Could it be otherwise?

Go to Top of Page

Marcycampa
Fan

Italy
81 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  17:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Terje!!! My friend! All you said is very good as also Marko said! A little confusion about name and surname that never the Norvegian people can explain to us...it's very fanny!!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So terje is your norwegian friend. Terje, but what means "mar"? And "lin"?

Mmm, I believe that if Lene reads this topic, she will wonder and shake her head.
Perhaps it's only the fact that we've nothing to do right now in these days
But who knows if she knew all this about her name?

Go to Top of Page

Marcycampa
Fan

Italy
81 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  09:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe it's a fanny topic but very interesting! Maybe as MArko said if Lene read this topic she will shake her head... :-)
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  16:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, I'm shaking my head :P

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

Marcycampa
Fan

Italy
81 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe good Tef!!! Maybe I hope that Lene won't see this topic... :-)
Go to Top of Page

terje
Fan

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  18:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Lene has been shaking her head for a long time, especially if she has been visiting the Italian forum.

About her name, I got a bit intrigued by this topic . Here's what I found...

MARLIN: The foremost authority on Norwegian names (the Samlaget dictionary) gives two origins for Marlin:
1) It is based on Marilyn or the German name Marlene
2) It is composed of Mar- and -lin, ie it is a name with a Norwegian origin. Then what does mar and lin mean? Well the -lin ending has been used also in other names like Iselin, Ingelin, maybe that´s the story. As for mar, I dont have a clue, it´s not a Norwegian (or Old Norse) word.

So it´s still a bit of a mystery.

LENE: Assuming a relation to Italian "lene" (= latin "lenis", right?) is not a bad theory, but I don´t think it´s right. You see, there is already a Norwegian adjective which derives from latin "lenis": "linn". It´s written and pronounced with "i", not "e". It has basically the same meaning as your "lene", ie mild, soft etc. I don´t see any relation between this adjective and the name Lene (or German "lehnen", btw we have this verb in Norwegian to (å lene seg, borrowed from German in the Middle ages).

All the sources I've checked give the same origin for Lene/Lena; it is derived from names ending in -lene/-lena, in particular Helena and Magdelena.

quote:
So Lene=sweet! Could it be otherwise?

Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  21:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian and German have many things in common, I've discovered. English and German even more.
Anyway, in the German "Duden" I've found: 1. die Lena: river in Siberia; 2. Lena, Lene: abbreviation for Magdalene or Helene (so what I said, that is that Lene is a "root", is right). There's also a sweet German endearment for Lene, which is Lenchen, the equivalent of "little Lene".
So the abbreviation Lene seems to have something in common with the ending -lin, don't you think? (in Italian we have the form -ino, -ina which is diminuitive for many words)
While mar- I don't know, but in Italian "mar" or "mare" mean sea. And we know that Marlin is also a fish, a boat and so on So perhaps Marlin is a little see, uh? But only in my imagination.
So Lene Marlin or, better, lene marlin, could be translated as: little calm/gentle see.
Now you and Lene should think that I'm completely mad Yes, maaaaad, mad about you (do you remember the song of Hooverphonic?)

Ok, to become serious again, the last things I have to say (at least I believe ) is that I found the origins of the Italian names "Elena", that derives probably from Helios=sun, and "Milena", that is a recent name of Slavic origins and comes from "Mila" that means "dear", so nothing to do with Lene.
I should have a German Duden for the origin of people's name to find out the origin of Marlene, but I don't have.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000