Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

theFragility
Fan

Latvia
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  02:01:24  Show Profile  Visit theFragility's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote from lene-marlin.no:

"- I won't be making records to the age of 35
(Published 27.02.2004; by Nordlys)

OSLO: Lene Marlin are frequently making new songs, and believes there will be another album. - However, I won't be making records to the age of 35, says the 23-year-old.

HAPPY: Lene Marlin is enjoying herself very much with her way of life, and gets the time doing what she likes the most; writing songs.

- I feel more comfortable with the song writing than as an artist, and I'd stop the artist career before I stop writing songs, says Lene Marlin to Nordlys."

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  21:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't make comments, but I have to say that those words "cut rather deeply" and I felt quite bad after having read that article 'cos I didn't expect them at all. Now I'm only a bit disappointed, I respect her choices, but I think I've lost part of my passion, at least for the moment. I was always optimistic, but now I need to expect nothing, too, so that I won't be disillusioned any more.
Many underestimate those words but I don't think she said them without reason. I don't understand why Lene told that now, I can only think she had that in her mind for many time, when she was considering wether to come back or not.

And did you read this:
"- One time we were in Italy, I suddenly got the urge to play again, and I got around with the band across town looking for a suitable place late at night. However, that time we didn't find the right place, so it didn't come to anything, she says."
She's referring to Verona. It was the night after the end of the Festivalbar. 6 fans of us casually met her in the main square of that town, sitting at a table outside a bar with her band, her manager and her producer. The manager, Alistair, told us to search a pub with a guitar where Lene could play. But unfortunately we didn'f find 'cos it was too late, there wasn't much time and so we went with them to a disco, where there was the party after-Festivalbar.

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene

Edited by - Marko on 01 Mar 2004 22:01:29
Go to Top of Page

theFragility
Fan

Latvia
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  23:30:41  Show Profile  Visit theFragility's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the whole thing sounds very strange to me. that was the last thing i have expected.
(to be honest, i haven't expected it at all).
Go to Top of Page

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  10:42:24  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmm.. don't get me wrong, im a big lene fan..

but did you really think she would be releasing albums her entire life?
im sorry, but that's unrealistic..

but, then again, she can't know wether she'll be releasing albums in 10-15 years time, so what she's saying is judged upon feelings then and there... and feelings change :)

as long as she's happy..

http://www.lene-marlin.no

memo@lene-marlin.no

Edited by - memo on 02 Mar 2004 10:44:30
Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  12:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with memo. And even if she quits when she's 35ish she would have plenty of time to realese many albums untill then, right? Even if she would stop as an artist after this album I would still be very grateful for the music she has already made. But I sure hope she'll continue as long as possible, aslong as she's happy that is.
And as memo said, she might change her mind. She's just in her early twenties and she only done the hole artist thing once, and that time it did'nt turn at that well. This time around she's doing it her way, wich is fanastic. Hopefully it will make her more comfortable in her role as an artist. If not we'll just have to be happy with what she has done so far, wich in my book still is alot.
But there's really no reason to worry about this know. There seem to be quite some time yet untill she decides to make that kinda carrer decision. Let's just live in the present and be glad she's active now.

-----
you're right in all the things you do
in all the choises you make
don't be afraid
it all works out in the end
-Lene Marlin, "It's All Good"
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  13:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well spoken, Tarnim, I agree 100 percent.

Even if Lene stopped making music today, we would have *no* right in complaining. On the contrary, we ought to be grateful for the masterpieces of pop music she's aleady given us.

I think some people take those lines in the article way too literally. Lene is just offering some thoughts on her long-term career, she's not doing absolute decisions on what is to happen in 12 years time. So it will be better to just relax, and enjoy her while she's here.

You can't force a person to be an artist against her will. What good would come out of that?

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

Meriadoc
Fan

Belgium
489 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  21:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Meriadoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those words don't suprise me. I never had the image of Lene beeing an artist for the rest of her life. She's not really the kind of person that would feel good living the live of an artist.

--
Just the way we are
I guess you've seen it now
A mirror of ourselves sure makes us weird
Falling down
From a mountain of fright
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  21:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do agree with all you. I'm the first one who was and is happy about PMG, and I would have been even if she wouldn't have come back.
But now that she is, now that we're waiting for a tour, now that it's our happiest period, what's the reason for coming out with such a sentence, without any "notice". She has ever stated she's not the kind of person who makes plans which go beyond next week, but evidently things are not this way. Therefore, looking not only to what she's doing now, but -as Tef said- to a long-term period, I think Lene has clear ideas about her carrier, her environment and her life: she knows very well what she wants. She has reflected a lot and I absolutely don't think she would say such things only to say, it's not her style.
Then, I would remember you: 1. "I won't... to the age of 35" could mean she could stop also with 30 or before, for example; 2. Lene is made for music: as she said, some songs are only for herself, but she has a need to let hear some of them to other people, that's one of the main reasons why she came back (I think it's, like for many "artists", that are people who often have a peculair sensibility, a way to express and develop her personality and, very important, it's kind of a show of affection and love for other people) 3. therefore I don't understand why it should be irrealistic release albums, now and then, for her entire life and, anyway, Dido began with over 30, for example.
So, I know well the problem is just and only what Tef said at the end: you can't force Lene to be an artist against her will. As we understood before and understand also from that same article, I know very well that the problem for Lene is just to be an artist. She likes to go around, play to some people and such things, most of all if everything is quiet like this time, but perhaps she knows she won't do this forever. On the contrary of most "artists", she wants to be and she really is a normal person, who rightly wants to have in some years a normal life, without journalists, TVs and so on.

I'm glad about the fact she's active now and I will continue following her even if she should stop next month, 'cos she deserves it, she has given us a lot asking nothing, but I want and I try to reciprocate. Still, I hope you understand me: it's not a good news for a fan to know the date of expiration of the carrier of his favourite artist.
In an interview about her return Lene said, referring to her songs, that her only worry was to disappoint her fans. We know she could never do it with her music, 'cos her music is and will always be wonderful, she can't simply do bad songs. But there are other ways to disappoint and for me knowing that fact now was in a certain way worser than live in the ages we knew nothing about her. I couldn't do nothing against it.
Anyway it's all right, now I'm prepared to hear other news of that kind, I'm sure there will be sooner or later. I only wasn't prepared, I kinda thought (I was evidently wrong) that being Lene back we had no more to consider the fact she could go away, as everything was going well this time and she seemed to be in good form and so eager to record already the third album in the DVD and other things that never let me suspect something with one thought.

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene

Edited by - Marko on 02 Mar 2004 21:43:25
Go to Top of Page

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  23:06:23  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm completely fine with it all. She's saying that she's going to make music for about another 10 years! That's quite a few quality albums to look forward to. I personally think she's doing the right thing and good luck to her. I'm pleased she isn't going to turn into a 45-50 year old diva - just churning out endless chart friendly tunes just to keep the record bosses happy.

As long as Lene's happy, and we've had 5 or 6 albums of brilliant music in total - then what have we really got to complain about?

My loss, here we go again...
Go to Top of Page

Ayna
Fan

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  00:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! I think we should stay relaxed. Lene is now 23 years old, and a real artist. only God (if he is up there) know's how
an artistic mind is working. Searching all the time, and it is not
uncommon that one change one's mind. I would not worry

Lene is great!
Go to Top of Page

theFragility
Fan

Latvia
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  00:24:16  Show Profile  Visit theFragility's Homepage  Reply with Quote
some people seem to got it wrong.
the article says that there will be no new albums for the next 12 years (or so).
but she is not "going away" anywhere. she will do what she is enjoying the most - songwriting.
she have already done this before. as you remember "we both know" and "should it matter"
were written by lene for sissel. so, if she feels like writing, why not?
she is a wonderful poet.
let it be!
Go to Top of Page

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  00:31:47  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you are mistaking..

"I won't be making records to the age of 35" means that she will probably stop making albums, before she hit the age of 35..

NOT that she won't make any more albums, UNTIL she's 35..

http://www.lene-marlin.no

memo@lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

Ayna
Fan

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  00:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who do do answer memo?

Lene is great!
Go to Top of Page

theFragility
Fan

Latvia
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  00:59:49  Show Profile  Visit theFragility's Homepage  Reply with Quote
now, it makes much more sense. (thank god!)
maybe it's just my poor knowledge of english.
but "i will be making records to the age of 35" would be more precise, right?
or am i wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  14:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theFragility

but "i will be making records to the age of 35" would be more precise, right?
or am i wrong?

Translating it in that way would ruin Lene's original meaning, as far as I can tell. She want's to say that at one point before turning 35, she will stop relasing albums. Not that she WILL be relasing albums to the age of 35. There is a huge difference, can you see it?

memo is right, you are totally mistaken about "not making another album for the next 12 years". Now, THAT would really be a cause for true worry :P

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

theFragility
Fan

Latvia
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  21:09:17  Show Profile  Visit theFragility's Homepage  Reply with Quote
now i see that i was totally wrong. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000