Great Books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Helios Rietberg
Fan

Malaysia
710 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  18:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Helios Rietberg's Homepage  Click to see Helios Rietberg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there're many intellectual people in the forum. I've gotten to think that Scandinavian authors are particularly interesting, so could you introduce me to a few? But of course, if there are other authors' books which are really worth reading, i'd gladly welcome their names. For now my favourite Scandinavian authors are :

Marianne Fredriksson
Jostein Gaarder

I've read Fredriksson's "Hanna's Daughters" and "Simon and the Oaks" [which are horribly well written!] (i sincerely hope Tarnim has heard of these ) and Gaarder's "The Solitaire Mystery", "The Christmas Mystery" and am going to read (already possess, half through) "Through a Glass, Darkly" and "Sophie's World" (think Lene's heard of those four?) Of course, these're all translated versions so i don't think that they're as enjoyable as the original ones, but i suppose i'll have to make do with my limited language capacity...

Any good books out there? If they're in your language, no matter; i'll either learn the language or find a translated version. All my thanks.

[EDIT] Well, i finished "Through a Glass, Darkly", but i'm still trying to get my hands on "Sophie's World". I can't seem to remember where i put it. It's weird that the international best seller would've been so uninteresting for me that i leave it to the last of all the books of his i own to read...

So fragile, just you and me,
Barely staying afloat in this blood red sea.
The eyes i looked at as jewels of hope,
Now hold just despair, how shall we cope?

Your feelings crushed, easy to break,
A protective shield of love we make.
When we realise we shall be free,
To entwine in the hands of you and me...

Edited by - Helios Rietberg on 21 Feb 2005 15:25:37

Superfan
Fan

Iran
658 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Click to see Superfan's MSN Messenger address  Send Superfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've read a few good books,
Fallen Angels is one that I remember It was a very good book

its about the vietnam war and its pretty old so good luck finding it

Go to Top of Page

Helios Rietberg
Fan

Malaysia
710 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  14:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Helios Rietberg's Homepage  Click to see Helios Rietberg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fallen Angels? Well, if it's from the American point of view, sorry to say, i think it'll be pretty lopsided. Though perhaps i'll try and find it and flip through to see if it's worth my time. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Superfan
Fan

Iran
658 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  22:27:51  Show Profile  Click to see Superfan's MSN Messenger address  Send Superfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've just Finished "Voices From Vietnam"
I like Fallen Angels More (It was more reallistic & written better)

I think you know what type of books I read...
also this may sound stupid (and I know it does) since I like 99.99% sure...
but have you read the harry poter series?

Go to Top of Page

Darksky
Fan

France
156 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  22:28:31  Show Profile  Click to see Darksky's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anne Holdt or smth is pretty good. Crime stories and so on. hmm, I have a book by Mortem Abrahamsen "Fri" but I haven't finished it yet. So far, it's cool.

**gjorde det vondt da du falt ned fra himmelen?**
Go to Top of Page

Helios Rietberg
Fan

Malaysia
710 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  15:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Helios Rietberg's Homepage  Click to see Helios Rietberg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Superfan : Yes, i've read the Harry Potter series. Getting lousier and lousier. This 5th instalment was the worst by far. No imagination at all, unlike in the third book. Sorry to insult you if you like it a lot, but i really think the series is going downhill.

Darksky : Are those books by Anne Holdt and Mortem Abrahamsen in English? Because my French is, honestly, extremely foul . I don't think i could understand them if they're in French...

Go to Top of Page

Superfan
Fan

Iran
658 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  22:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see Superfan's MSN Messenger address  Send Superfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well no need 2 worry the 5th was the longest and worst if you'ld ask me,
I like chamber of secrets the most...

Know any good war books?

Go to Top of Page

Helios Rietberg
Fan

Malaysia
710 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  04:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Helios Rietberg's Homepage  Click to see Helios Rietberg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I liked Prisoner of Azkaban the most.

War books... i used to have a thing for war books, but that was when i was a child. Anything you do, don't read "Once There Was a War" by John Steinbeck. Due to the fact that he was a historian, his books are as boring... as... i don't know. I can't describe it.

"Inge and Mira" by Marianne Fredriksson is good, but i doubt you'd like it... it's very feminist, and portrays men as mostly brutes in the Second World War. If you don't want to hate women, please don't read that. But if you don't really mind the male sex being slandered, it's a good book. It tells of the living hell in Chile in the timeline of the Second World War...

Most of the war books i've read concerns the Second World War. The Devil in Vienna, by Doris Orgel. The Woods at the End of Autumn Street, by Lois Lowry (this one and the earlier one are more children based, and the war is filtered and less horrible). Claire's War, by... wait, i can't remember. There are many Chinese books on the Second World War in China, but unfortunately i can't find the English translations, and anyway, it's all about China and Japan...

Anyway i hope you can find a few good war books. I don't know any that concern America, but hopefully you can find some.

Go to Top of Page

Darksky
Fan

France
156 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  01:29:59  Show Profile  Click to see Darksky's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Helios ; No, the books I told u about r in Norwegian. hehe! sorry for that late post but my pc crashed..2 much spyware blæ!

**gjorde det vondt da du falt ned fra himmelen?**
Go to Top of Page

Superfan
Fan

Iran
658 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  02:29:09  Show Profile  Click to see Superfan's MSN Messenger address  Send Superfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well actually I've put my books down now...back to them good old online videogame comics...they totally rock!

I've got this MGS vs. Resident Evil comic that'll make laugh like hell!

Go to Top of Page

Lene-Robyn
Fan

Netherlands
64 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Lene-Robyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am reading "De Dollanganger serie" from "Virginia Andrews" It's a popular writer, but i only know the first part of the serie in English: "flowers in the attic" (in dutch: "bloemen op zolder")
it's a nice book!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000