Lene.it International Forum
Lene.it International Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forums
 Lene Marlin
 Just One Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
custard555 Posted - 21 Oct 2004 : 02:47:36
Has Lene ever said anything about going on fans web sites her self, or has this question been asked a million times before?........

or she could be ninja hidding as one of us !

Pleaseeee Lene,Dont sink my battleship
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Superfan Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 01:25:04
late like hell but...

being shy isnt/shouldn't really be the key...I mean hell shes just posting on her own site...

quote:
Many of us (the older fans)

...i thought u said u cant judge fans by thier age of being a fan...(it was on Lene zone or little lene's topic on these very forums...)
oh well...

Q: When Is your computer obselete?
A: The day after you learn to use it.
the girl next door Posted - 11 Nov 2004 : 05:41:11
Hi Marko! Thanks for the welcome. I didn't know that Australian fans were the first to join this international board. Lene's not well-known here, although I reckon she should be.

With regards to what you said about Lene dedicating time to her fans, I think we are in agreement here, but perhaps I didn't put it properly. I agree that fans should be given the highest priorities by any artist, because they're the ones who buy and appreciate the artist's work in the first place. I also agree that she has to accept her fame and the fact that fans may stop her for an autograph even when she is not working. That comes with success, and anybody who goes into the music industry as an artist should be willing to accept that even if they don't like it, otherwise they will be very miserable!

And of course, it's better still if the artist reciprocates the attention of the fans who don't give up and who continue waiting patiently for her and promoting her. Certainly I think that this is the best attitude for the artist to take. What I was trying to say, but perhaps didn't explain properly, is that it's wonderful if Lene wants to do all of this. It's certainly the best relationship there could be between an artist and her fans, and to some degree it's her responsibility. It's expected of her. However, as Helios Rietberg so eloquently put it, 'making people happy is one thing, but making people happy at the expense of your own happiness is not a good thing'. It's not the most important thing in Lene's life, do you know what I mean? I mean, when AD finally came out, it was obvious that she had had other problems to deal with. With regards to her music, I do think, as you said, that she's incredibly proud of her fans in a quiet kind of way. She's just not showy about it like other artists. In fact, I think she's far more dedicated to her fans than someone like Britney Spears, for example, who tours with every album that she puts out but only does it for the money.

So, yeah. Perhaps what I said came out wrong. Certainly an artist owes the success of her career to her fans, and should therefore give them great consideration in all professional matters. What I meant to say was that just because that's so, doesn't mean we should have the right to dictate Lene's life. She should still be free to make the decisions that she wants to make, and to live her life the way she wants to live it. But I really respect the affection and dedication that went into the making of this site, and I think that fans like you guys, who run this site, are especially deserving of Lene's attention.

Anyway, you Italian fans are very lucky! I doubt that she will ever come to Australia...
custard555 Posted - 10 Nov 2004 : 21:10:47
Hmm it’s hard now to reply to this thread, every time I go to type something I forget what other people have already said, but the time I read everyone’s post I have forgotten what I was going to say,, but hey I already know I have a crap short term memory.

Here goes..

The best I can pick out from the best ever posts I have ever seen is…

quote:
some of us who can't see from her point of view, would pester her to make another album, to come out and promote herself and stuff, when she just wasn't in the right state.

Ok I can understand that, but I’m sure if she had said something on the lines of…. there will be a new album and I’m happy what I’m doing now; it would have released more pressure to pester her for a new album then keeping (even the record company) in the dark.

and....
quote:
she was actually beginning work on Another Day already in 2002, just 2 years after her last public appearance in Feb 2000.

Ok, now this is where is changes, if she was “working” then why not say something then ...

The only person can anwser this is Lene, and I hope one interviewer asks her, I think I would be a good question.

Come on Lene, Don't give up now

We all live in a beautiful world

Marko Posted - 10 Nov 2004 : 21:08:02
Welcome girl next door!!
Do you know Australian fans were the first to subscribe this International board 1 1/2 years ago?

What you said, in particular: "I think she's the kind of person who might find talking to her 'fans' very difficult because it just seems ridiculous to her that she could be somebody's 'idol'. [...] Lene doesn't owe us anything personally, even if we do buy her albums and go to her performances. She's just doing her job. She never asked for attention, dedication or gifts from her fans" that's what me and other fans tried to explain many times to those who were unhappy about Lene's behaviour (and a lot of fans went away or didn't show a long time because they didn't understand it)
But in one thing you're not completely right or at least I think Lene herself understands it would be not "fair", I mean when you say "she really doesn't have to dedicate time to them (the fans)". In fact, whether she wants or not we're here, she has to accept it She had to accept her fame, the fact that people stop her for an autograph. And some fans, creating and taking care of this site, continued spreading news about her and didn't lower the attention on her. She knows it and reciprocated our affection, that's why she came 3 times to Italy and there will be something more in the next months, I think.
Anyway, Lene is much more interested in her fans than one could believe. I'm persuaded from the moment I read in an interview that one of the thing she really cares is not to disappoint her fans.
And after the first mini-concert in Oslo she said: "It was great to meet the fans. It's been a long road. I get incredibly proud about that so many came."

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene
the girl next door Posted - 10 Nov 2004 : 12:44:28
Thanks for the welcome, Pegasus and Helios

To Pegasus: I know what you mean when you say that we have to keep dealing with it. Like many fans, I'm sure, I was really frustrated by the lack of news about Lene during the time when she was nowhere to be found. Moreover, I wasn't aware of the existence of great sites like these where her fans could commiserate with each other. If she were to disappear for another four years, it would still be just as hard, I'm sure.
Helios Rietberg Posted - 10 Nov 2004 : 08:38:38
Welcome, The Girl Next Door.

You made a short but brilliant essay. I'm stumped. Simply brilliant.

My Angels of Light have long left me,
Yet the darkness of the path is queer,
Where have they escaped for purity?
Leading to what i hold so dear
This blinding light glaring in my sight,
Mystery of the unseen so hard to unravel,
Though i struggle to see with all my might.
To where i will go, through time and travel.

Pegasus_TDCi Posted - 09 Nov 2004 : 23:05:11
Welcome on board girl next door.

The topic has been living with us for a while, so I guess we might have to deal with it again inside us sometimes. But I appreciate your words, girl next door, and agree with your point of view. Both you and Helios explained your thoughts in an effective and clear manner, I couldn't have said it better.

Hey what do you think of me now?
Am I not like I once
were
Still if you don't
know me,
what's the
story of this pen
I guess you're not a
stranger
and I can tell you're not a
friend
It might take a
while but I guess
I'll manage
waiting 'till then...

Then...
when you
confront me with your thoughts.
the girl next door Posted - 09 Nov 2004 : 18:07:16
First of all, hello, I'm new

To give my opinion on this topic, I think that the reason why Lene didn't communicate with her fans during the time that she was away is because she is a rather shy and reserved person who found all the attention that was heaped upon her rather difficult to deal with. I mean, she developed psychological problems after the success of PMG. I think she's the kind of person who might find talking to her 'fans' very difficult because it just seems ridiculous to her that she could be somebody's 'idol'. To her, she's just a normal person like you and me, therefore she might feel uneasy talking about herself and revealing her plans to the public. Plus, I think she's a very private person as well and might not necessarily like everybody to know what she's doing.

Besides, Lene doesn't owe us anything personally, even if we do buy her albums and go to her performances. She's just doing her job. Outside of her professional obligations, she doesn't really have to communicate with her fans if she doesn't want to. I realise that fans normally expect more of their idols than this, but there's no rule that says that Lene has to be like the rest of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we can't expect from her what we might be able to expect from other artists, and that that's her right because it's her life. She never asked for attention, dedication or gifts from her fans, and she really doesn't have to dedicate time to them either if she doesn't want to.

Lene's got quite a take-it-or-leave-it attitude about herself; she's not like some artists who are all out to shore up their popularity. I think that's healthy. It says to me that she's not an attention-whore whose self-esteem depends on the adulation of others. If she's still here ten years from now, it will be because of her talent.

Of course, I'm not in her mind and I don't know how she thinks. But for me, it's no longer important why she did or didn't communicate with us during those four long years. I know that we waited for her second album for a long time, but I don't think it makes sense for us to feel hurt or to blame Lene for not giving us news about herself during the time that she was away. It's not that I think that she's perfect no matter what she does, it's just that I don't think that she did anything 'wrong' or that her behaviour really needs explaining beyond what she has already told us via interviews and such. I think that this is just the way she is.
Marko Posted - 09 Nov 2004 : 16:06:57
Custard, you made the most difficult question for a fan of Lene. Many of us (the older fans) had to confront several times with such or similar questions in the past years. And it wasn't easy to understand.
Once again, Helios gave the best articulated answer, couldn't explain better. Yes, Lene is really unique.

Cannot control this... this thing called Lene
Tef Johs Posted - 09 Nov 2004 : 10:38:17
Lene may not have spoken much in the "four years gap", but we should remember she was actually beginning work on Another Day already in 2002, just 2 years after her last public appearance in Feb 2000.

During the course of summer/early fall of 2002, she began the preliminary meetings with producer Mike Hedges and the guys at Wessex Studios in London, and began recording the first song, "Disguise" (ref. DVD), I'd guess in October 2002. In April/May 2003, the recordings were finished, the album finalized with "My Love", and the promotion began with YWT on July 18, 2003.

So the "four years gap" is for us, the fans, not for her, because she was working even back then. She just didn't tell anyone :)

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Helios Rietberg Posted - 09 Nov 2004 : 06:38:08
She didn't like the attention; she just wasn't used to it, couldn't handle it. And she didn't know how to say no... i mean, how often is it in your life that you get a hit single that's played ten times in a day on the same radio station? And she didn't just have one hit single; she had three in the times of PMG.

As we all know, Lene doesn't write the music to make money and attract fans; she makes it because it's her hobby. She knows she has fans, but she doesn't really need them much, since she's not out to sell records. I know it sounds weird to us, but jump in her shoes and think : "If i'm not out to make money, why should go around the place promoting myself?"

I'm sure she's grateful to have such a large fan base and things, but she's no Britney Spears who's all out to make money. She just likes the music she makes, and perhaps she could actually make someone's day by making a record instead of just keeping it to herself. It's great to make someone happy, you know. It's just great to see the smile breaking up on someone's face you make a masterpiece in anything; in everything. It's great to see those people cheering and clapping for you to play another song... it's lovely, really, making music. I'm sure Lene herself would agree.

But over those four years, her disappearance was the result of too much fame, in too short a span of time. And, well, making people happy is one thing, but making people happy at the expense of your own happiness is not a good thing. She just thought that, well, perhaps she needed a break. And i don't think she'd want to make contact with her fans then because she was afraid that maybe some of us, some of us who can't see from her point of view, would pester her to make another album, to come out and promote herself and stuff, when she just wasn't in the right state.

Lene is unique; very unique, as an artist. She's not out to make money; from my point of view, she's out to share what talent God bestowed her with, and hopefully to make someone's day. A smile to your neighbour can make his or her day; so why not play them a song? It'd bring even more happiness, i'm sure. If you're angry, it brings relief and calms your soul. If you're feeling idyllic, it sends you off to illusion land. And if you just have nothing to do and like listening to music, it makes your life just a little bit better. What's better than something so beautiful and so brilliant, like that?

My Angels of Light have long left me,
Yet the darkness of the path is queer,
Where have they escaped for purity?
Leading to what i hold so dear
This blinding light glaring in my sight,
Mystery of the unseen so hard to unravel,
Though i struggle to see with all my might.
To where i will go, through time and travel.

custard555 Posted - 08 Nov 2004 : 23:37:40
Okay, maybe I should have put it forward as a question;
Why didn’t Lene have any communication with her fans over the 4 years gap?

Tarnim Posted - 08 Nov 2004 : 22:18:29
the only thing Lene ever have to do to deserve me as a fan is to write that wonderful music she writes.

-----
you're right in all the things you do
in all the choises you make
don't be afraid
it all works out in the end
-Lene Marlin, "It's All Good"
custard555 Posted - 08 Nov 2004 : 21:40:54
Looking back when Lene went on a brake for 4 years, I think it would have been a good idea if Lene posted something then or given (dare I say it), update to http://www.lenemarlin.com by E-mail or anything to give us fans something to keep us all going and following her.

Now I don’t want to see down on Lene but I hope people don’t take this the wrong way.

I think Lene is the best but sometimes I think she doesn’t deserve some of her fans, looking at all the people efforts and time gone into making fan sites, E-mailing EMI/Virgin sending flowers etc…etc.. When she doesn’t even post nor e-mails anyone for 4 years.

What I’m trying to say is this, when she first started (The days of playing my game) she deserve all the fans if not more, but I’m >>ONLY<< talking about the 4 years of nothing, I know she wasn’t well, but one hour out of 4 years, come on people!!

Also what I’m also trying to say is, I’m very astonish with everyone who was a fan of Lene when she first start until now, I think most stars would give a arm or leg to have you guy’s on their side, well done to you all.

Ending point-----------------------

The past is the past and there is nothing we can change but I just wanted to get that off my chest, it’s been on there for ages. AND PLUS LENE WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST.

Now reading back the word "deserve " is a bit 2 strong, but I can't think of any other word.

EDIT AGAIN--->>> what about "be worthy of such a large fan base" is better then "deserve"

To tell you the truth, I’m now thinking of deleting this because it looks anti Lene, which was intended, hmmm I’m worried about the response now…and the small chance of Lene reading this…………ahhh I’m sorry!!!
custard555 Posted - 07 Nov 2004 : 22:54:31
hmmmm me monkey is hard thinking

Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000