Lene.it International Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Forums
 Lene Marlin
 So, where do I go to read people's thoughts on AD?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John P.
Fan

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  19:24:56  Show Profile  Visit John P.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since Lene came back with Another Day, I've been searching the web to see what people abroad think of the album. Since I'm from Norway, I'm not so interested in hearing opinions I read in newspapers or from other people here, since the opinions are probably biased in one direction or the other.

So I'd like to hear from you people all over the rest of the world; what do you think of the new album; what are your favourite songs from it now that you've had the chance to let it sink in?

There doesn't seem to be such a thread in here yet, so I was wondering...

I went to the Italian forum at this site to see if there was such a thread there, and immediately saw that that forum is WAY more busy than this one!

Which makes it almost seem that Lene is only popular in Italy now...

I can't read Italian though, so I didn't get much out of it.

Personally, from I bought it and up until now, the album has certainly grown on me. I was a tiny bit disappointed on the first listen through it, but it just gets better and better the more I listen to it, and now I'm hooked - I have to listen to it every now and again!

My top favourite songs are:

Faces, Fight Against The Hours, and Story.

But by all means; all the other songs are good as well. :)

So what are your thoughts?

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  22:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are lots and lots of reviews, also from amazon.uk buyers, over at www.lene-marlin.no

If you haven't visited there before, you will have some serious reading to do :)

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  22:46:00  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's loadsa different opinions on the album dotted around this forum - mostly good good things have been said about it.

I think said something about it being a stronger album than the last, but less commercial.

My loss, here we go again...
Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  08:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the album! It's a masterpice. Hard to say some favoritesongs thou. They are all so good! But My Love, Whatever It Takes and It's All Good is mabey a tiny tiny bit better than the rest. But then again it's hard to compare works of geiniality to other works of geniality.

-----
you're right in all the things you do
in all the choises you make
don't be afraid
it all works out in the end
-Lene Marlin, "It's All Good"
Go to Top of Page

HeartaBetta
Fan

Italy
80 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  16:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have liked Lene's music since I heard for the first time her first single "Unforgivable Sinner". That was, is and will always be a wonderful song that is fastened forever in my heart. I can't make up my mind about which Lene's songs are better..they all are so good. But, if I must say the truth, I like the most "Playing My Game" and I'm still so close to it. Though there is also "Another Day", I still go on listening to "Playing My Game".
For "Another Day" I can say that my favourite songs are "You weren't there", "Faces", "Story", "From this day", "Disguise", while I don't like "My Love" at all.
Go to Top of Page

Geno
Fan

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AD is a great album, but I think they spent too much time in studio, the production is a bit too polished for my taste. Besides, Lene seems to me a bit distant, like she's not really there. Well, just a feeling I get... It's a good album though, my favourite tracks are Disguise, Story and the title track. All credit to Lene for having the guts to make an album that sounds so different from anything else these days. I think AD is the kind of album you need a lot of time to really appreciate, but for now, PMG is still my personal number one.
Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2003 :  12:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You dont like My Love, HeartaBetta? It's one of my absolute favourite Lene songs. Lyric-wise it's as good as a lyric can be, in my opinion. And musicly it's very beutiful. It brings me to tears sometimes because it's so sad...
It's a funny thing about AD. When I first got it I thought that there where a lot of songs about love compared to PMG. But when I've listened to it some more I don't think that it is (atleast not directly). Not that there is anything wrong with lovesongs, some of my favourite songs are about love. It's just my interputation of the lyrics.
Take My Love, for example. At first it sounds like a lovesong. But after listening to it for sometime I think it's more about dreams in general and to be in no control over you're goals in life. To crave for something so bad and have no way of making it come true.

-----
don't be afraid

Edited by - Tarnim on 25 Oct 2003 12:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Pellissier
Fan

Italy
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  09:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite songs are Disguise , Fight Against The Hours , Another Day and Story.
But i believe all the songs included are really good.

Another day goes by - Will never know just wonder why
You made me feel good - Made me smile
Go to Top of Page

Sean
Fan

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  11:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone... I'm from Australia. I've been a Lene fan since I first heard "Unforgiveable Sinner" back in 1999. Anyway, here's my review of the new album:

First off, I need to say that this is not as good as her debut album “Playing My Game”. It was always going to be hard to live up to such an incredible album like that... it is one of my top 5 fave albums of all time. I didn’t want to review it straight away as on first listen I didn’t like it much but thought it would be the kind of album that needs a few listens.... and I was right. After spending some time with the album I’m totally in love with it. There are no killer singles like “Unforgiveable Sinner” (very passionate in your face song) or “Sitting Down Here” (very catchy). In fact, only 3 songs jump out as being single worthy: “You Weren’t There” (the first single), “Another Day” and “Sorry” (also my 3 fave songs). That being said, the album is thouroughly enjoyable and strong throughout. You’d listen to this album when you want to relax and chill out or when you want to think about your life. I just love Lene’s beautiful vocals so much, it’s a great album to listen to.

1. Another Day – the title track, catchy, loved it on first listen. 9/10

2. Faces – took awhile to grow on me, it has a very dreamy quality (a lot of Lene songs on both her albums do) 8/10

3. You Weren’t There – I can really feel the emotion in this song, it really burns into my mind when she says ‘you weren’t there’ (esp. in the verses). I don’t know how to explain it but she manages to make the listener feel like she is saying it to them and you can at once feel you weren’t there and how she feels about it, but she does it without sounding angry at you. It has these dreamy swirly sounds in it like stuff on
Madonna’s “Ray Of Light” album 9.5/10

4. From This Day – I disliked this song on first listen... it’s very slow and melancholy. After a bunch of listens I adore it, it’s beautiful, I love all the sound effects. It has a strange part repeated throughout that really makes the song with no words, just Lene singing ‘hyyeeeeeeeeuuuu, hyyeeeeeeeuuuuuuu’. 8/10

5. Sorry – another catchy, immediate song about Lene saying ‘sorry’ a relationship did not work out 9/10

6. My Love – a sweet song, it gets a little repetitive though, it’s a very simple acoustic style 6.5/10

7. Whatever It Takes – the intro reminds me a little of Avril Lavigne’s “Thing’s I’ll Never Say” only a little more mellow, the rest of the song is different though. I love the vocals in the chorus 8/10

8. Fight Against The Hours – this has a very sombre/serious tone to it, haunting with the deep, dark sounds. Quite sad and you can feel the emotions of Lene’s sadness and feelings of aloneness. 6/10

9. Disguise – has a folky sound to it, Lene saying how she sometimes hides herself behind a disguse but that she’s OK 7/10

10. Story – this one also has a very mellow and dreamy dragging tone to it, it’s OK but never seems to go anywhere 6/10

Delta Goodrem: Talented Australian singer/songwriter
www.DeltaGoodrem.com
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  11:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A nice review there, but, honestly, "My Love" only 6.5?

After hearing the DVD version (it's live acoustic) you'd probably want to add a couple of points to that score :)

-----------------------------
tefjohs@lene-marlin.no
staff member, www.lene-marlin.no
Go to Top of Page

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  22:51:33  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest - when I first heard the album, I thought "My Love" was it's weakest point.

It's grown on me now though - but if I was to mark each song out of 10, I'd probably give it a 7. I don't really like obvious love songs all that much, but hey - that's just me!

And yes - the live version is even better than the album version.

My loss, here we go again...
Go to Top of Page

Sean
Fan

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  23:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to hear the DVD version... but they're only releasing the normal edition here :(

Delta Goodrem: Talented Australian singer/songwriter
www.DeltaGoodrem.com
Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  19:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grading Lene songs? Okay!

Another Day 8,5
Great song. Not fantastic (for Lene) but still pretty darn good!

Faces 9,5
SOOO beutiful! My first favourite on the album.(I change my mind alotof times) Very cosie track.

You Werent There 7,5
In my opinion, the albums weak spot. Don't know why it was chosen as the first single. Dont get me wrong, I like the song but it's one of her worst. But: Lene's "worst" is still very good. Just couldnt find a better word.

From This Day 8
I bit to slow maybe? But also a very nice song. Not as moving as some of her others though.

Sorry 9
Verry good. Cathy but still thoughtfull. I never heard a Lene song I could dance in my livingroom to as well as this one.

My Love 10
Almost perfection. I've high standards for tens, but this made it. The lyric is on the state of perfection. LOVE THIS SONG!

Whatever It Takes 9
one of my favourites. The course is fantastic.

Fight Against The Houres 9
Again a fantastic song. The vocals are best on this one.

Disguise 8
Great lyrics but they could be better on some places, I think. The course isnt that good.

Story 8
A great song, but there are a few things that bugs me. On the top of the list are the drums. They're simply to loud on this track.

Hope Youre Happy 9
Great song. The course is fantastic!

It's All Good 10
What can I say? It's all good! A track that litterly speaks for itself.

Enough 7,5
Another weak spot, but as you've seen the competition has been hard in my book. A good song. Deffintly worth buying the single, or the DVD, for. Or why not both?

-----
don't be afraid

Edited by - Tarnim on 31 Oct 2003 20:58:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: