Song Interpretations.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:40:33  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi again all.

I know I'm new to this forum, and this subject has probably been already done about a million times already - but I was wondering what certain songs make you think of.

Do you try and imagine what Lene had in mind when she wrote the songs? Or do certain songs remind you of a time, a place or a person?

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:43:41  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Dazzy,

What a great subject!!

The Way We Are is my favourite song of Lene's, and although I think she was probably writing about a younger brother or sister - it always makes me think of my really beautiful and very special niece Katie-Rose.

Go to Top of Page

remind_me
Fan

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  11:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice subject indeed, Dazzy. Would like to know what fellow Lene-fans think about the "You weren't there"-lyrics? What are they about? Is Lene singing about herself here ("They're making up these stories about you")? I think she mixes personal experiences with things from other people's lives.

All suggestions/ideas welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  17:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I like above all Flown Away, 'cos it always makes me imagine flying in the sky with only the sea under me, like in a book of Richard Bach (One)

This is Lene Marlin, an angel sent on Earth to sing with celestial voice the endless beauty of Paradise.
Hearing to her voice lets us come nearer to perfection.
Go to Top of Page

tefjohs
Fan

Norway
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  00:28:11  Show Profile  Visit tefjohs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About "Flown Away", I've been sitting listening a 1000 times to a demo-version of this beautiful song, recorded at NRK Troms back in the very early days in 1997, before she'd even been contacted by Virgin records!

Listen to this gem (Realplayer audio):

http://www.nrk.no/rammstein?id=28896&aid=151858

This is an interview in norwegian, 1997 remember, and the sound is a bit dizzy, but the version of Flown Away (starts about halfway through) is so wonderful, I wished they had recorded it exactly like that on Playing my Game, with that great piano playing continuously (it's a bit different, but still beautiful, on the album).

In the end of the interview part, the interviewer asks Lene (my translation, remember this is 1997): "In five years, Lene Pedersen, where do you see yourself, what are you doing then?" Lene answers: "I hope my music is known by then; that my dreams have come through; then I'll be satisfied. I'd be big, perhaps..."

1997 + 5 = 2002....and Lene is in hiding because of overwhelming success! She got her dreams fulfilled, but it would come at a price.

Edited by - tefjohs on 06 Aug 2003 00:30:18
Go to Top of Page

Tromsoe
Fan

Norway
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  12:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei tefjohs, I can't make that link work. Is there an nrk webpage which contains this link that you can link to instead og this direct-to-ramfile-thing?
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be a real collector item. But what's that song we can hear at the beginning and also during the interview in three short parts?!? It should be one of the 4 mysterious songs we don't know, what do you think? It seems the same which was on an interview on lenemarlin.com and, indeed, I'm almost sure, 'cos I remember well the text and the way of singing. It seems another "hard" song like US despite of the beautiful beginning melody.

You're right, at the end there's a lovely version of Flown Away with the piano. Perhaps she'll perform this live one day. I love very much the part when she makes the second voice in a higher tone.
Thank you very very much tefjohs! It's incredible after so many time to hear something new and so rare.

Could someone please translate the whole interview? It could be very interesting know something more about the "first" Lene

This is Lene Marlin, an angel sent on Earth to sing with celestial voice the endless beauty of Paradise.

Edited by - Marko on 06 Aug 2003 14:36:42
Go to Top of Page

Zuzzy
Staff director / Moderator

Italy
123 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow tefjohs, really a scoop you did!!! It's such a beautiful item for all Lene's fans!! Maybe one of the mysterious songs will be on Another Day!
Go to Top of Page

tefjohs
Fan

Norway
26 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  18:27:57  Show Profile  Visit tefjohs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just don't get this; I posted a full translation of the interview from 1997 here yesterday evening (wednesday). I also checked that it was posted correctly, and it was here just nicely.

Now, today, there is nothing here!? Weird, where did my post go? I didn't take a copy of the translation either, so I can't even repost it, and it was quite a lot of work too!

This was sad... my apologies. I don't understand what happened here.
Go to Top of Page

Zuzzy
Staff director / Moderator

Italy
123 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  20:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, we had some problems caused by Aruba, that hosts our site. I'm very sorry of this, but it happened..
i'm sorry you lost your article... we'll send our protests to Aruba!!
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel tefjohs. Happened the same to me in the past and not only one time, 'cos you can do a mistake and lose everything. It's not the case of this problem with Aruba, you posted your thread successfully (pity that I didn't see and save it at time).
But I give you anyway an advice: save every important thread or translation on your pc for some time before cancelling.

Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  18:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dazzy. I think youre riht about "The way we are". That is my guess to. It could also be a song from a parents wiew. A mother and her child. Then again noone knows accept Lene.
Go to Top of Page

Tarnim
Fan

Sweden
403 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  18:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Wy are you talking to youreself?
Go to Top of Page

Dazzy
Fan

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  13:27:23  Show Profile  Click to see Dazzy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, I was just trying to give the subject a kick-start in a light hearted, tongue in cheek way. Just my bizarre English sense of humour I guess.

Does anyone have anymore interpretations of of other songs besided "The Way We Are" and "Flown Away"?
Go to Top of Page

memo
Fan

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  02:55:27  Show Profile  Visit memo's Homepage  Click to see memo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One Year Ago, by lene marlin:

She's walking there alone
No one by her side
She manages to fight the tears
But the pain inside
She can't hide
And all the tears she's cried
- the song starts off trying to get the listener to imagine this girl, alone, sad...

The moment she closes her eyes
She starts thinking of you
The dreams that she had one time
Have gone away
Will they ever come true?
All she needs is...
All she needs is you
- relationship gone bad...maybe it didnt work out for the other part?

And she wishes today was one year ago
When you cared so much for her
And loved her so
Not a doubt in her mind
That it would still be you
Cause the love that you shared...
It was true
- here it comes clear that this is a love song, where this girl/boy still loves a person..but not the other way...
she wishes it was one year ago, when everything was good...before this happened...

You never thought about it
What you made her feel
You promised you'd stay together
But the hope she once had...
So unreal
All she needs is...
All she needs is you
- she tells of the other person as not knowing how much she loved him...he might have cared for her, but not enough?
not enough to realize how she felt...

this is a very "easy" song...none of lene's songs are particulary "deep" and metaphorical...but that's what make them lene's songs...they are so easy listening to...so calm...so full of emotions, and so...clear :)

-memo

do not underestimate stupid people in large groups
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000