Lene.it International Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Forums
 Lene Marlin
 I ask an enormous favour (article translation)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  00:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No 10 right here:
-----------------------------------------------------
A marvellous money gallop
-------------------------

At the age of two Lene Marlin fell in love with a guitar, but it was to take another 13 years before she got the present which should set off her million profitable pop career.

By MARIA FüRST
Source: Dagbladet

- Have learned my lesson.

The fairy tale started at NRK Troms in 1997. Lene Marlin Pedersen was 17 years old. She was allowed to enter a studio, and brought the guitar with her. One of the journalists became so impressed by the result that he immediately contacted Virgin's mighty record manager, Per Eirik Johansen. The record deal was soon settled.

October 12, 1998 Marlin's debut single "Unforgivable Sinner" was released. It was used as a title track for Erik Poppe's movie "Schpaa", but stood equally well on its own. In the history of Norwegian musical history only Idol-Kurt has sold a single at a faster rate than Lene Marlin.

All at once.
The newspapers wrote about the little girl with the big guitar. Great expectations were planted in the people, but she met them all. We loved Lene Marlin from the first minor composition.

Then a importunate half a year followed. The recording of the album "Playing my Game" was done parallell to Lene's graduation from 12 years of schooling. Some of the songs were recorded in Tromsø, and some in Oslo. The mix was done in England, with Trevor Horn behind the levers. Lene was doing her homework at night at that time, but never doubted she would take her final exams (G.C.E.) the same spring as of her album's release.

- Many seem to believe I have gotten extremely rich and extremely happy because of this. The only thing that there's been an extreme lot of, is work, she said to Dagbladet, 12th of February 1999.

A money machine.
The payment came later, but then in great amounts. The international career is almost unprecedented among Norwegian artists. Up until now, "Playing my Game" has sold over 1.7 million copies worldwide, and the three singles ("Sitting Down Here" and "Where I'm Headed" are the other two) more than 2 millions altogether.

According to Dagbladet's unofficial calculations Marlin has earned over 44 million nkr. The album and the singles have sold for an amount close to 380 million nkr in Norway and abroad. Of this amount Lene has got her rightful share. In addition there are royalties and other mandatory income.

Personal relations.
In May of 2003 Marlin bought a huge apartment on Frogner in Oslo. There she lives with her boyfriend Stian Barsnes Simonsen, known from the NRK TV-show "Reser" and "Hotel Cæsar". One of Marlin's best friends is the previous photo model Sunniva Stordal (whom by the way jumped off her career at about the same time as Lene Marlin went underground).

Prize sprinkle.
The Italians love her. The French and English are also enthusiastic. In Norway Lene is the pop queen. Up until now she has won four HitAward statuettes, one MTV prize, the "Karoline" award and an Honorary Prize from the council of Tromsø. February 25, 2000, she stood on stage and recieved her fifth Spellemann-award. Three days later she disappeared.

- It became a bit much to handle at once, she said to several radio stations on Thursday this week.

Marlin met the wall. The rumours spread about a breakdown and depression. Now we know she had to seek professional help to get up on her feet.

- These were not things I wanted to potter with on my own, she explained to the radio station P4.

Happy chapter.
For three years it was all silence. Now she is back. "You Weren't There" is the first single from Marlin's new album "Another Day", to be released on September 22. A new chapter in the story of Lene Marlin has begun. A fairy tale with an open, but hopefully happy ending.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tef Johs's note: The "Karoline" prize is awarded to a person managing several projects at once successfully, in Lene's case it was completing 12 years of schooling and recording a million-selling album at the same time. :)

Yes, I'm not a politician, I'm not a royalty, I have not come back to rule the country. I'm just going to make some music. - Lene Marlin, August 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Marko
Staff Lene.it / Moderator

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  21:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me Tef Johs, what does "paracet" mean? It's not on my Englis vocabulary

“I’m here again because I’ve got my passion back. I’ve never thought about writing a song that will sell because I don't approach music like that. If I thought in that manufactured way, I know I wouldn’t be able to do it” Lene Marlin 2003
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paracet? I guess you're refering to the other article, where she asked "for a paracet"? That's just a tablet (medicine) you eat to fight headaches, at least we do here in Norway :)

Yes, I'm not a politician, I'm not a royalty, I have not come back to rule the country. I'm just going to make some music. - Lene Marlin, August 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much! That's way I didn't find it!

“I’m here again because I’ve got my passion back. I’ve never thought about writing a song that will sell because I don't approach music like that. If I thought in that manufactured way, I know I wouldn’t be able to do it” Lene Marlin 2003
Go to Top of Page

Tef Johs
Fan

Norway
496 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  23:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Tef Johs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is No 11, and then I believe every single article is covered :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen to Lene Marlin singing again!
--------------------------------
Source: VG (18.07.03)

By HÅVAR BREMER, SUSANNE BERG-HANSEN

The Italian radio station Capital has played Lene Marlin's new single "You Weren't There".

This is according to Nordlys.

Italian radio have for some time hunted for the first single from Lene Marlin's upcoming album, and now the hunt has paid off. At 3:30 AM last night "You Weren't There" was played on the radio station Capital.

On the radio station's website an extract of 45 seconds from the song may be heard, which reveals that Marlin now has moved in the direction of the pop-rock genre.

Lene Marlin's new album "Another Day" will be released on September 22. The album has brought about sky high expectations, which is produced by the British star-producer Mike Hedges.

From success to silence.
The young Tromsø-girl had a crashing success when the single "Unforgivable Sinner" was released in 1998. As the very first Norwegian beginner ever the 18-year-old climbed straight to the top on the VG charts.

During a few months it had sold 40 000 copies, and the success continued with the next single "Sitting Down Here".

When the album came in the spring of 1999, Marlin hysteria spread across Europe, Japan and Australia.

But the sudden superstar status became difficult to handle for the girl from Tromsø. Lene Marlin would no longer talk to the press or show herself in public. The record company Virgin refused to comment on what had happened.

However, now Lene Marlin is back with one of the most long-awaited come-backs in a very long time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Marko

Italy
949 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  14:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work!!!
You'll be rewarded

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Lene.it International Forum © Lene Marlin Italian fan-club Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000